Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunrise on Orcas island

Sunday
June 5, 2011 / May 23, 2011

Seventh Sunday of Pascha: The Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council. 
Tone six.

Synaxis of Hieromartyrs of Kholmsk and Podliash (movable holiday on the Sunday after May 19th). "Chelnsk" Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos named "Tenderness" (movable holiday on the 7th Sunday of Pascha). Venerable Michael the Confessor, bishop of Synnada (818). Uncovering of the relics (1164) of St. Leontius, bishop and wonderworker of Rostov (1077). Synaxis of All Saints of Rostov and Yaroslavl: Bishop Leontius (1073), Bishop Isaiah, wonderworker (1090), Bishop Ignatius (1288), Bishop James (1391), Archbishop Theodore (1394), Metropolitan Demetrius (1709), Archimandrite Abraham the wonderworker (1073-1077), Monk Irinarchus the Hermit (1616). Prince Basil ( 1238), Peter, Tsarevich of Ordynsk (1290) Blessed Isidore, Fool-for-Christ (1474) Blessed John of the Hair-Shirt (the Merciful), Fool-for-Christ (1580); Yaroslav Wonderworkers: Princes Basil (1249), Constantine (1257), Theodore (1299) and his sons David (1321) and Constantine (XIV); Pereslavl Wonderworkers: Monk Nikita the Stylite (1186), Monk Daniel the Archimandrite (1540), Prince Alexander Nevsky (1263), Prince Andrew of Smolensk (15th c.); Uglich Wonderworkers: Monk Paisius (1504), Monk Cassian (1504), Monk Ignatius of Lomsk (1591), Prince Roman (1285), Tsarevich Demetrius (1591); Poshekhonsk Wonderworkers: Monk Sylvester of Obnora (1379), Monk Sebastian (1542), Hieromartyr Adrian (1550), Monk Gennadius of Liubimograd and Kostroma (1565). Venerable Euphrosyne, princess of Polotsk (1173). Venerable Paisius, abbot, of Galich (1463). Martyr Michael "the black-robed" of St. Sabbas' Monastery (9th c.). Holy Myrrh-bearer Mary, wife of Cleopas.
Martyr Salonas the Roman (Greek).
Martyr Seleucus (Greek).
St. Damian of Garesja, (King Demetrius) of Georgia (1157).
St. Ioannicius I, archbishop of Serbia (1270).




Words from the Abbot:


The view from Dr. Bakken's guest house is absolutely stunning. I woke up this morning with the sun beaming through the windows, and a slight breeze, scented with the forest, passing through the room. Anyone who's spent a night in a forest, on top of a mountain, knows the primordial memory that surfaces. Nature is soothing for the soul, and life giving. Is it any wonder that monks have sought out mountain tops, islands, forests, and deserts, as settings for monasteries?
 
With love in Christ,
Abbot Tryphon

Last Night's Sunset


Photos of the Day

The Orcas Island home of my dear friends, Dr. and Mrs. Kenneth Bakken, where I am taking on a three day retreat. 

Abbot Tryphon and Doctor Bakken

 

Scripture Readings for the Day:



Acts 20:16-18,  28-36

16 For Paul had decided to sail past Ephesus, so that he would not have to spend time in Asia; for he was hurrying to be at Jerusalem, if possible, on the Day of Pentecost.
The Ephesian Elders Exhorted
17 From Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called for the elders of the church. 18 And when they had come to him, he said to them: “You know, from the first day that I came to Asia, in what manner I always lived among you,
 28 Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. 29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. 30 Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves. 31 Therefore watch, and remember that for three years I did not cease to warn everyone night and day with tears.
32 “So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified. 33 I have coveted no one’s silver or gold or apparel. 34 Yes, you yourselves know that these hands have provided for my necessities, and for those who were with me. 35 I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”
36 And when he had said these things, he knelt down and prayed with them all.



John 17:1-13

Jesus Prays for Himself
 1 Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You, 2 as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. 4 I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do. 5 And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.
Jesus Prays for His Disciples
6 “I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. 7 Now they have known that all things which You have given Me are from You. 8 For I have given to them the words which You have given Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came forth from You; and they have believed that You sent Me.
9 “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. 10 And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are. 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I come to You, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have My joy fulfilled in themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment