Monday, June 6, 2011

View from Orcas Hotel, looking toward Shaw Island

Monday
June 6, 2011 / May 24, 2011

Afterfeast of the Ascension. Tone six.

Venerable Symeon Stylites (the Younger) of the Wonderful Mountain (596).
Venerable Nicetas Stylites, wonderworker of Pereyaslavl-Zalesski (1186).
St. Xenia of Petersburg, fool-for-Christ (Glorification 1988).
Martyrs Meletius Stratelates, Stephen, John, and 1,218 soldiers with women and children, including: Serapion the Egyptian, Callinicus the Magician, Theodore, Faustus, the women Marciana, Susanna, and Palladia, two children Cyriacus and Christian, and twelve tribunes: Faustus, Festus, Marcellus, Theodore, Meletius, Sergius, Marcellinus, Felix, Photinus, Theodoriscus, Mercurius, Didymus, all of whom suffered in Galatia (218).
St. Gregory, archbishop of Novgorod (1193).
Venerable Vincent of Lerins (ca. 450).
Nun-martyr Martha, abbess of Monemvasia (990).




Words from the Abbot:


The return trip to Vashon Island, following my three day retreat on Orcas Island, is complete. I feel so very blessed to live where I do, happy that my three days on one island, has concluded by returning to the forest of another island.

Growing up on Lake Pend Oreille in the northern Idaho Panhandle, instilled in me a love of large bodies of water, and a deep appreciation of forests. Pend Oreille, with a surface area of 148 square miles, 65 miles long, and 1,150 feet  deep in some regions, makes it the fifth deepest, and one of the largest, in the United States. Living on an island in a large inland sea, connects me to my youth, in a wonderful way. It also connects me to my Norwegian roots.

The Puget Sound, who's correct name is actually the Salish Sea, is a huge inland sea, dotted with islands and ocean going ships. My Norwegian blood drew me to this place, much as it did the great waves of Scandinavian  immigrants, of my grandparents generation.

Forested islands are also numerous on Lake Pend Oreille. One such place is Warren Island, the largest of the islands within the vast lake. As a high school student I fantasized living in a monastery on that island. When visiting my brother, Dwayne, and his family, I still think about having a monastery on Warren Island.

I'll admit I find myself wishing I were thirty years younger, so I could be a missionary monk among the peoples of Northern Idaho. I'd construction one monastery on Orcas, in the San Juan Islands of the Salish Sea, and another on Warren Island, which is just across from Hope, Idaho. I can only pray that God will raise up generations of new Orthodox monks, building monasteries on many islands, and bringing forth Orthodoxy to the present young generation, who would so benefit from Ancient Christianity, untainted, unchanged, and life giving.


With love in Christ,
Abbot Tryphon

Lake Pend Oreille in Northern Idaho


Photos of the Day:

 

Back home on Vashon Island. From one forested island, to another!


All-Merciful Saviour Monastery on Vashon Island.

 

Scripture Readings for the Day:



Acts 21:8-14


8 On the next day we who were Paul’s companions departed and came to Caesarea, and entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him. 9 Now this man had four virgin daughters who prophesied. 10 And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11 When he had come to us, he took Paul’s belt, bound his own hands and feet, and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’” 12 Now when we heard these things, both we and those from that place pleaded with him not to go up to Jerusalem. 13 Then Paul answered, “What do you mean by weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” 14 So when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, “The will of the Lord be done.”

John 14:27-15:7

 

27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 28 You have heard Me say to you, ‘I am going away and coming back to you.’ If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, ‘I am going to the Father,’ for My Father is greater than I. 29 “And now I have told you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe. 30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming, and he has nothing in Me. 31 But that the world may know that I love the Father, and as the Father gave Me commandment, so I do. Arise, let us go from here.

John 15

The True Vine
 1 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

Click photo to enlarge.

No comments:

Post a Comment