Saturday, June 4, 2011



Saturday
June 4, 2011 / May 22, 2011

Afterfeast of the Ascension. Tone five.

Hieromartyr Basiliscus, bishop of Comana (308). St. John-Vladimir, martyr and ruler of Serbia (1015). Blessed James, youth of Borovichi (Novgorod) (1540). New Hieromartyr Michael priest (1942).
Commemoration of the Second Ecumenical Council (381). New Hieromartyr Zachariah of Prusa (1802) (Greek).
Righteous Melchisedec, king of Salem.
Martyrs Markella and Codratus (Greek).
Martyr Sophia the Healer (Greek).
New Monk-martyrs Paul and Demetrius of Tripoli near Kalavryta (1818) (Greek).



Words from the Abbot:


A little boy mussed out loud, as he passed by me on the ferry to Orcas Island, the words, "a wizard." Over the past number of years, due to the popularity of the Harry Potter books and movies, and the Lord of the Rings trilogies, children are no longer assuming that I'm Santa Claus, but that I am either Dumbledore, the good wizard in the Harry Potter movies, or Gandalf, from the Lord of the Rings.
Popular culture as made these two characters the archetypes of goodness and wisdom, which means that children are not looking upon me in fear, but, rather, in awe.

As I was waiting for the elevator in Swedish Hospital in Seattle, on my way to the bedside of a patient, just as the doors opened, a little boy of about five, accompanied by his parents, when seeing me, uttered the words, "WOW." I've lost track of the number of times children have approached me, wanting to meet "the wizard."

The archaic definition of the word
wizard, was a sage, so, in a way, that could certainly be applied to an Orthodox priest. Our late monastic brother, Father Spiridon, who was from Scotland, told us that, increasingly, historians are thinking that the famous wizard in King Arthur's Court, was not a wizard, but, the last of the Celtic Orthodox bishops, and that his "magic," was simply the spiritual gifts he possessed, as demonstrated throughout Orthodox history, among our saints.
We Orthodox clergy, dressing in the traditional robes of the ancient Church, and sporting our uncut hair and beards, have the perfect opportunity, as we pass through our villages, and cities, going about your ministry, to allow this popular culture, to be used for the furtherance of the message of Christ. We should not be offended, when we are mistaken for a wizard, but see such moments as opportunities to spread the joy that is ours, in our Life in Christ.
With love in Christ,
Abbot Tryphon



Photos of the Day:


The Orcas Island home of my dear friends, Dr. and Mrs. Kenneth Bakken, where I am taking in a three day retreat.  

 

Scripture Readings for the Day:


Acts 20:7-12


Ministering at Troas

7 Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight. 8 There were many lamps in the upper room where they were gathered together. 9 And in a window sat a certain young man named Eutychus, who was sinking into a deep sleep. He was overcome by sleep; and as Paul continued speaking, he fell down from the third story and was taken up dead. 10 But Paul went down, fell on him, and embracing him said, “Do not trouble yourselves, for his life is in him.” 11 Now when he had come up, had broken bread and eaten, and talked a long while, even till daybreak, he departed. 12 And they brought the young man in alive, and they were not a little comforted.

John 14:10-21

10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. 11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.
The Answered Prayer
12 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. 13 And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.
Jesus Promises Another Helper
15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
Indwelling of the Father and the Son
19 “A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also. 20 At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. 21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.” 



Click photo to enlarge.

No comments:

Post a Comment