Sunday, October 14, 2012


Orthodoxy Lived
We are enjoying our first rain in 87 days!

Orthodoxy is not about a list of beliefs, nor is it about liturgical and ceremonial tradition. Orthodoxy is a way of life that must be lived. If it is not lived, it is nothing.

With love in Christ,
Abbot Tryphon


The Planting of a Monastery (part 4), will be posted tomorrow morning.

 


Sunday October 14, 2012 / October 1, 2012
19th Sunday after Pentecost. Tone two.

The Protection of Our Most Holy Lady the Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary.

Apostle Ananias of the Seventy (1st c.).
Venerable Romanus the Melodist of Constantinople (556).
Venerable Sabbas, abbot of Vishera (Novgorod) (1461).
New Hieromartyr Alexis priest (1918).
New Hieromartyr Michael priest (1920).
New Hieromartyrs Alexander, Gregory, Nicholas priests, Martyr John (1937).
New Hieromartyr Archpriest Ismael Rozhdestvensky, of Strelna (St. Petersburg) (1938).
New Hieromartyr Theodore (1940).
Martyr Domninus of Thessalonica (4th c.).
Martyr Michael, abbot in Armenia, and 36 Fathers with him (790).
Miracle of the Pillar with the Robe of the Lord under it at Mtskheta (330) (Georgia).
 Liublinsk, Pskov-Protection, Kasperovsk, Brailovsk, Gerbovetsk and Barsk Icons of the Mother of God.
Venerable John Kukuzelis the Singer of Mt. Athos (ca. 1341) (Greek).
Venerable Gregory the Singer of Mt. Athos (1355) (Greek).
Venerable Bavo of Haarlem (659) (Neth.).
St. Remigius of Rheims, apostle to the Franks (533).
King Mirian and Queen Nana of Mtskheta, St. Abiathar of Mtskheta, and St. Sidonia, disciple of St. Nina (4th c.).
St. Melchizedek, catholicos-patriarch of Georgia (11th c.).
Martyr-prince Mylor of Brittany.



You can read the life of the saint in green, by click on the name.


THANK YOU, to all of you who have been able to contribute towards the support of the monastery. These difficult times of economic hardship have impacted the monastery, and those of you who have been able to donate, have been our lifeline. May God bless you for your generosity, and kindness.
With love in Christ,  
Abbot Tryphon


Donations can be made directly to the monastery through PayPal, or you may send donations to:

All-Merciful Saviour Monastery
PO Box 2420
Vashon Island, WA 98070-2420 USA

2 Corinthians 11:31-12:9


31 The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is blessed forever, knows that I am not lying. 32 In Damascus the governor, under Aretas the king, was guarding the city of the Damascenes with a garrison, desiring to arrest me; 33 but I was let down in a basket through a window in the wall, and escaped from his hands.

The Vision of Paradise

12 It is doubtless not profitable for me to boast. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord: I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a one was caught up to the third heaven. And I know such a man—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows— how he was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter. Of such a one I will boast; yet of myself I will not boast, except in my infirmities. For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, lest anyone should think of me above what he sees me to be or hears from me.

The Thorn in the Flesh

And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.



Luke 6:31-36


31 And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise.
32 “But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. 35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. 36 Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.

1 comment:

  1. I am somewhere between Protestantism and Orthodoxy, and one of my biggest struggles at times with Orthodoxy is that it sometimes seems that some of those within the Church are more concerned about having the right beliefs then living the Way of Jesus.

    It is good to see someone within Orthodoxy acknowledging that it is about the way of life and not just a set of beliefs.

    ReplyDelete