Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pilgrimage
The Mantia of Saint John the Wonderworker
I have just returned from my pilgrimage to the Bay Area of Northern California, where I was able to venerate the relics of Saint John the Wonderworker in the Cathedral of the Holy Virgin "Joy of All Who Sorrow". As well, I accompanied my friends and brothers, Abbot Seraphim and Monk Anthony of Holy Cross Monastery in West Virginia, to Old Holy Virgin Cathedral for a moleben to Saint John, during which time we were able to have Hieromonk James (who serves at the Old Cathedral) lay the mantia of Saint John over each of us as a blessing.

The three of us also visited the women's monastery in Calistoga, CA. Holy Assumption Monastery has twelve nuns and is my favorite of all the monasteries of women I've visited. The church is beautiful, the town is beautiful, and the nuns are kind, humorous and very pious, and offered us the most wonderful hospitality. I returned to my own monastery last night, happy to be back on the island, among the brethren of my own monastery.

Abbot Seraphim made his first pilgrimage to the holy relics of Saint John to ask for his heavenly intercession. Please pray for Father Seraphim, that the Lord will bring healing to him of his cancer. 



With love in Christ,
Abbot Tryphon



There are twelve nuns in Assumption Monastery



Thursday July 26, 2012 / July 13, 2012
8th Week after Pentecost. Tone six.

Synaxis of the Holy Archangel Gabriel.
Venerable Stephen of St. Sabbas' Monastery (794).
St. Julian, bishop of Cenomanis (Le Mans) in Gaul (1st c.).
Martyr Serapion, under Severus (193).
Martyr Marcian of Iconium (258).
Translation of the relics (1620) Venarable Anthony Leokhnovsky (1611).
Venerable Abbess Sarah of Seeds in Libya (370).
Venerable Just, monk in Cornwall (5th c.) (Celtic & British).
Venerable Mildred, abbess of Minster in Thanet (England) (700) (Celtic & British).
Synaxis of Hilandar Saints, Mt. Athos (Greek).
Virgin-martyr Juthwara of Cornwall.


You can read the life of the saint in green, by click on the name.



To all my readers who have donated towards the support of the monastery but have not received a personal "thank you" note, I want to ask forgiveness. The amount of work I do on-line, together with lecturing in area colleges, has left me feeling overwhelmed and exhausted. My good intentions aside, I just haven't sat down in my office to personally respond to all our benefactors. 

Please forgive me. I will get to all of you in time, although it may seen too little too late for some of you.
Again, please forgive me. I'm averaging four or five hours at most of sleep per night, and find myself falling asleep at my desk. Not good. 
Please pray for this old monk.
 
With love in Christ,  
Abbot Tryphon

Donations can be made directly to the monastery through PayPal, or you may send donations to:

All-Merciful Saviour Monastery
PO Box 2420
Vashon Island, WA 98070-2420 USA

1 Corinthians 10:28-11:7


28 But if anyone says to you, “This was offered to idols,” do not eat it for the sake of the one who told you, and for conscience’ sake; for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.” 29 “Conscience,” I say, not your own, but that of the other. For why is my liberty judged by another man’s conscience? 30 But if I partake with thanks, why am I evil spoken of for the food over which I give thanks?
31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, 33 just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
11 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

Head Coverings

Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you. But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered. For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man.

Matthew 16:24-28


Take Up the Cross and Follow Him

24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 27 For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works. 28 “Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”


I invite my readers to listen to my Ancient Faith Radio podcasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment