Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Flowers


The Offering of Flowers to God


I was in our cutting garden early this morning, soon after letting the hens out of the chicken coop. This section of our organic garden has been set aside exclusively for growing flowers to adorn the temple. All the major feasts of the Church are good occasions for placing fresh flowers around the icons, as well as throughout the monastery's common areas.

Flowers have long been used in Christian churches to show our love for God in a tangible way. They let us offer back to God that which He created for our enjoyment and pleasure, and like the lighting of candles,
the offering of flowers allows us to demonstrate our love and devotion to our Creator, who first loved us.

With love in Christ,

Abbot Tryphon



Wednesday August 17, 2011 / August 4, 2011
10th Week after Pentecost. 

Dormition of the Holy Virgin Fast. Strict Fast (Bread, Vegetables, Fruits)


Holy Seven Youths (the "Seven Sleepers") of Ephesus: Maximilian, Jamblicus, Martinian, John, Dionysius, Exacustodian (Constantine) and Antoninus (250 & 5th c.).

1 Corinthians 16:4-12

 

4 But if it is fitting that I go also, they will go with me.
Personal Plans
5 Now I will come to you when I pass through Macedonia (for I am passing through Macedonia). 6 And it may be that I will remain, or even spend the winter with you, that you may send me on my journey, wherever I go. 7 For I do not wish to see you now on the way; but I hope to stay a while with you, if the Lord permits.
8 But I will tarry in Ephesus until Pentecost. 9 For a great and effective door has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.
10 And if Timothy comes, see that he may be with you without fear; for he does the work of the Lord, as I also do. 11 Therefore let no one despise him. But send him on his journey in peace, that he may come to me; for I am waiting for him with the brethren.
12 Now concerning our brother Apollos, I strongly urged him to come to you with the brethren, but he was quite unwilling to come at this time; however, he will come when he has a convenient time.

Matthew 21:28-32

 

The Parable of the Two Sons


28 “But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, ‘Son, go, work today in my vineyard.’ 29 He answered and said, ‘I will not,’ but afterward he regretted it and went. 30 Then he came to the second and said likewise. And he answered and said, ‘I go, sir,’ but he did not go. 31 Which of the two did the will of his father?”
They said to Him, “The first.”
Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you. 32 For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him; but tax collectors and harlots believed him; and when you saw it, you did not afterward relent and believe him.

No comments:

Post a Comment