Thursday, June 30, 2011



Friday
July 1, 2011 / June 18, 2011
3rd Week after Pentecost.  Tone one.
Apostles' Fast.



By Monastic Charter: Strict Fast (Bread, Vegetables, Fruits)
Martyr Leontius, and with him Martyrs Hypatius and Theodulus, at Tripoli in Syria (73).
New Hieromartyrs Nicanor, Basil, Alexander, Basil and Sergius priests (1938).
Venerable Leontius, canonarch of the Kiev Caves (14th c.).
"Bogoliubov" (1157) Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos.
Reverence list of an "Bogoliubov" Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos: "Zimarovsky" (13th c.), Moscow (1157), "Uglich" and "Iur'evsk".
The Meeting of the "Piukhtinsk" ("At the Source") Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos (1946).
Venerable Leontius, clairvoyant of Dionysiou Monastery, Mt. Athos (1605).
Martyr Aetherus of Nicomedia (305).
St. Marina the Virgin of Bithynia (8th c.).
Finding of the relics (1997) of New Hieromartyr Victor, bishop of Glazov (1934).
St. Erasmus, monk (Greek).
St. Leontius the Shepherd, monk (Greek).



Words from the Abbot:

 


 

Photos of the Day:


Photo taken on the grounds of the monastery of a doe and her fawn, by Michael Menard.




Scripture Readings for the Day:

Romans 9:6-19



Israel’s Rejection and God’s Purpose

6 But it is not that the word of God has taken no effect. For they are not all Israel who are of Israel, 7 nor are they all children because they are the seed of Abraham; but, “In Isaac your seed shall be called.” 8 That is, those who are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God; but the children of the promise are counted as the seed. 9 For this is the word of promise: “At this time I will come and Sarah shall have a son.”
10 And not only this, but when Rebecca also had conceived by one man, even by our father Isaac 11 (for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls), 12 it was said to her, “The older shall serve the younger.” 13 As it is written, “Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated.”
Israel’s Rejection and God’s Justice
14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.” 16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.” 18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.
19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?”

Matthew 10:32-36


Confess Christ Before Men

32 “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.
Christ Brings Division
34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; 36 and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’

Click photo to enlarge.

 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you , Thank you, Thank you, Father Tryphon for those wonderful words of wisdom, it made my day more wonderful, God Bless you also.
    Eugenia

    ReplyDelete