Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Future of the Church
Sunday
January 16, 2011 / January 3, 2011
34th Sunday after Pentecost. Tone one.
Sviatki. Fast-free
Sunday before the Baptism of Our Lord and God and Saviour Jesus Christ
Forefeast of the Theophany.
Prophet Malachias (400 B.C.).
Martyr Gordius at Caesarea in Cappadocia (314).
St. Genevieve of Paris (502).
Venerable Abelard, abbot.
Finding of the relics of New Monk-martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri, in 1950 (Greek).
St. Peter of Atroa (837).
St. Thomais of Lesbos (10th c.).
Venerable Euthymius (Taqaishvili) the Man of God of Tbilisi (1953).
St. Findlugan of Islay (7th c.) (Celtic & British).
 
Quote for the Day:

"When you go to visit any of your relations or friends, do not go to their house in order to eat and drink well, but go there in order to take part in friendly and sincere conversation with them, to refresh your soul from worldly vanities by friendly and loving intercourse, to be mutually comforted by your common faith. For "I seek not yours, but you," (2 Cor.12:14) says the Apostle."

Saint John of Kronstadt

Scripture Readings for the Day:


2 Timothy 4:5-8

5 But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
Paul’s Valedictory
6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

Mark 1:1-8
John the Baptist Prepares the Way
 1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. 2 As it is written in the Prophets:


      “ Behold, I send My messenger before Your face,
      Who will prepare Your way before You.”
       3 “ The voice of one crying in the wilderness:

      ‘ Prepare the way of the LORD;
      Make His paths straight.’”

4 John came baptizing in the wilderness and preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. 5 Then all the land of Judea, and those from Jerusalem, went out to him and were all baptized by him in the Jordan River, confessing their sins.
6 Now John was clothed with camel’s hair and with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. 7 And he preached, saying, “There comes One after me who is mightier than I, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to stoop down and loose. 8 I indeed baptized you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment