Friday, August 14, 2009

The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost 2000 years ago.

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory to Him forever!
The Morning Offering
Friday, August 14 / August 1 (Church Calendar)
Procession of the Cross
Feast of the
All-Merciful Saviour



Saints of the Day:

August 1 / 14. Procession of the Precious Wood of the Life-giving Cross of the Lord. Holy Seven Maccabees: Martyrs Abimus, Antoninus, Gurias, Eleazar, Eusabonus, Alimus, and Marcellus their mother Solomonia and their teacher Eleazar. Nine Martyrs of Perge in Pamphylia: Leontius, Attius, Alexander, Cindeus, Minsitheus (Mnesitheus), Cyriacus, Mineon (Menaeus), Catanus, and Eucleus. (Greek Calendar: Martyr Papas the New. Martyr Eleazar. Martyr Cyricus. Martyrs Theodore and Polyeuctus. Martyrs Menas, Menais, and others of England. Martyr Elessa of Cythera. St. Timothy the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Priconissus of Peloponnesus.) Archbishop Nicholas (Kassatki), Enlightener of Japan (1912).

Photo of the Day:

The onion dome on the monastery's temple. (click to enlarge)

Thought of the Day:


It is with great joy and gladness that we, the members of this holy brotherhood, celebrate our monastery's Patronal Feast. Founded in 1986, our monastery was dedicated to Christ our All-Merciful Saviour, and we began the journey into a greater and deeper dedication of ourselves to Christ. We've had a difficult path to travel, with many hardships along the way. There was a night I remember clearly, when I sat up crying, and in the depths of dispair, because our former bishop had turned against us, and we'd lost all financial and spiritual support from those we loved the most. Hierodeacon Paul, my co-struggler, and the co-founder of this monastery, stood by me when others could find no good in me. We, together,  suffered greatly during those early years. These were times when we were misunderstood, and ostracised by many of our own brothers and sisters in Christ. These were periods of extreme poverty, when we knew not where the next meal was coming from, or how we were going to pay the rent.

Once we acquired our land,  I personally suffered physical attack by a neighbor, who did not want a monastery next to his property. Yet the Lord, in His great mercy, allowed us to eventually purchase that very property. Giving up and walking away, was never an option. Even when we were hated, or misunderstood, we knew our monastic struggle must continue. My own spiritual father, Blessed Archimandrite Dimitry, who'd suffered great humiliation during his long years, counciled me to keep my eyes on Christ, and not put my trust in any human. His loving council gave me strength, when I did not receive support from those in authority over me. It was Father Dimitry's holiness, and his unending joy in his life in Christ, that served as an excellent example to me.

At one of the lowest points in my monastic life, I remember going to Father Dimitry, and asking his blessing to leave for the Holy Mountain of Athos, feeling that I'd totally failed in establishing a monastery. He told me that my salvation was on Vashon Island, and that I should continue my struggles where God had placed me. Needless to say, my spiritual father was correct, and this  monastery is proof that Father Dimitry knew God's plan for Father Paul and me. This beautiful monastery, in a forested setting, on an island in the Puget Sound, is truly a miracle, and I am grateful that God has blessed me to be a part of it, however small and insignificant. Please pray for me a sinner.
Abbot Tryphon

Scripture Readings for the Day:

2 Corinthians 1:12-20

Paul's Sincerity

12 For our boasting is this: the testimony of our conscience that we conducted ourselves in the world in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom but by the grace of God, and more abundantly toward you. 13 For we are not writing any other things to you than what you read or understand. Now I trust you will understand, even to the end 14 (as also you have understood us in part), that we are your boast as you also are ours, in the day of the Lord Jesus.
Sparing the Church
15 And in this confidence I intended to come to you before, that you might have a second benefit— 16 to pass by way of you to Macedonia, to come again from Macedonia to you, and be helped by you on my way to Judea. 17 Therefore, when I was planning this, did I do it lightly? Or the things I plan, do I plan according to the flesh, that with me there should be Yes, Yes, and No, No? 18 But as God is faithful, our word to you was not Yes and No. 19 For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us—by me, Silvanus, and Timothy—was not Yes and No, but in Him was Yes. 20 For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us.

Matthew 22:23-33

The Sadducees: What About the Resurrection?

23 The same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to Him and asked Him, 24 saying: "Teacher, Moses said that if a man dies, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife and raise up offspring for his brother. 25 Now there were with us seven brothers. The first died after he had married, and having no offspring, left his wife to his brother. 26 Likewise the second also, and the third, even to the seventh. 27 Last of all the woman died also. 28 Therefore, in the resurrection, whose wife of the seven will she be? For they all had her."
29 Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven. 31 But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, saying, 32 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living." 33 And when the multitudes heard this, they were astonished at His teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment