Monday, July 27, 2009

The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost 2000 years ago.

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory to Him forever!
The Morning Offering
Monday, July 27 / July 14
(Church Calendar)

Saints of the Day:

July 14 / 27. Apostle Aquila of the Seventy, and St. Priscilla. St. Ellius (Hellius) of Egypt. St. Onesimus, monk of Magnesia. St. Stephen, abbot of Makhrishche (Vologda). . Martyr Justus at Rome. St. Nicodemus of Mt. Athos (spiritual writer). (Greek Calendar: Martyrs Aquila, Hilary, Peter the New, and Heraclius.) Service to Saints Cyricus and Julitta transferred to this day from July 15.

Photo of the Day:


As seen from the porch of my cabin. (Click to enlarge)


Quote of the Day:


"The greatest sacrifice we can offer to God is our peace; it is fraternal harmony; and it is a people gathered together by that unity which exists between Father, Son and Holy Spirit." Saint Cyprian (200-259)

Scripture Readings for the Day:

1 Corinthians 9:13-18

13 Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? 14 Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.
15 But I have used none of these things, nor have I written these things that it should be done so to me; for it would be better for me to die than that anyone should make my boasting void. 16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with a stewardship. 18 What is my reward then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel.

Matthew 16:1-6

The Pharisees and Sadducees Seek a Sign
 1 Then the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and testing Him asked that He would show them a sign from heaven. 2 He answered and said to them, "When it is evening you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red'; 3 and in the morning, 'It will be foul weather today, for the sky is red and threatening.' Hypocrites! You know how to discern the face of the sky, but you cannot discern the signs of the times. 4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah." And He left them and departed.
The Leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees
5 Now when His disciples had come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread. 6 Then Jesus said to them, "Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the Sadducees."

No comments:

Post a Comment